Burial places (1-2)

Burial places

1. Łódź, 141 Zgierska Street – St. Roch’s Cemetery, 141 Zgierska Street. Two mass graves of men murdered during the Radogoszcz massacre.

2. Łódź, 81 Kurczaki Street – St. Adalbert’s Cemetery, 81 Kurczaki Street. The only cemetery in Łódź where Poles could be buried during the occupation. The burial place of those who died in the Radogoszcz prison.

Commemorative Exhibitions and Plaques (3-6)

Commemorative Exhibitions and Plaques

3. Łódź, 44 Sienkiewicza Street – City Art Gallery in Sienkiewicz Park, where the first exhibition of mementoes of the murdered Radogoszcz prisoners was held.

4. Łódź, 1 Wolności Square – A commemorative plaque unveiled on February 29, 1948, on the wall of Church of the Pentecost in Łódź, 1 Wolności Square.

5. Łódź, 17 Liściasta Street – A commemorative plaque on the wall of the “Prima” Piston Ring Factory, 17 Liściasta Street, unveiled on September 1, 1969. It is devoted to representatives of the Łódź intelligentsia imprisoned in the transit camp in Michał Glazer’s factory. Some of them were transferred to the prison in Radogoszcz.

6. Łódź, 47 Zgierska Street –The first permanent exhibition in the building of the former Radogoszcz prison, 147 Zgierska Street, opened on January 19, 1976.

Mausoleum (7)

Mausoleum, Łódź, 147 Zgierska Street

7.  The Mausoleum in the grounds of the former prison in Radogoszcz at 147 Zgierska Street. It was created in 1959-1961. The author of the concept was architect Tadeusz Herburt. Wacław Bald supported him in the creation of the urban concept.

  • Monument to the Victims of Fascism in Pamięci Narodowej Square. Designed by Tadeusz Łodzina and Wacław Filipowicz.
  • A sarcophagus of black granite, designed by Władysław Herburt, with an inscription: “Here we lie, murdered on the eve of freedom – our names and bodies were taken by fire – we only live in your memory – let no such inhumane death ever happen again”, written by Tadeusz Chróścielewski.
  • Bas-reliefs on the wall enclosing the mausoleum area from Zgierska Street. Created by Antoni Biłas.
  • A wrought iron fence, decorated with abstract geometric shapes of metal sheet, created by Roman Modzelewski.
  • The bas-relief on the front wall of the exhibition building, created by Kazimierz Karpiński.
  • A wooden cross erected in the mausoleum area on April 29, 1990.

Commemorative Events (8-13)

Commemorative Events

8. Łódź, 1 Wolności Square – The blessing of a symbolic coffin displayed on January 18-19, 1948, in front of the Garrison Church at 1 Wolności Square.

9. Łódź, 18 Traugutta Street – A relay race and the First National Kayaking Trip of the Textile Trade Union to the Sea Festival in Szczecin, June 1947.

10. Łódź, 147 Zgierska Street – A Holy Mass at the wall of the burnt prison celebrated on January 28, 1945.

11. Łódź, 147 Zgierska Street – Annual ceremonies in honour of the murdered in the Radogoszcz prison, held since 1946.

12. Łódź, 147 Zgierska Street – A hike and a cycling excursion in memory of Radogoszcz, organised since 1964 by Jan Czeraszkiewicz Łódź Division of the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society.

13. Łódź, 147 Zgierska Street – The Radogoszcz Memory Night – cyclical meetings organised since 2017 on the anniversary of the funeral of the Radogoszcz massacre victims.

Commissions and Committees (14-18)

Commissions and Committees

14. Łódź, 16 Pomorska Street – The building of Emilia Sczaniecka 4th Secondary School at 16 Pomorska Street (previously 16 Nowotki Street), which housed:

  • The Secretariat of the Social Committee for the Protection of the Radogoszcz Prison;
  • The office of the editorial team of Czarna Księga Zbrodni Hitlerowskich w Radogoszczu 1939-1945 (The Black Book of Nazi Crimes in Radogoszcz 1939-1945);
  • The Commission for the Rebuilding of Radogoszcz, a part of the City Committee for the Protection of the Graves of Fighters for Freedom.

15. Łódź, 307 Piotrkowska Street – The building of the Łódź Radio Family at 307 Piotrkowska Street, where the Social Committee for the Protection of the Radogoszcz Prison established in July 1946 met (in the autumn of 1946, it was moved to 16 Nowotki Street).

16. Łódź, 236 Piotrkowska Street – The building at 236 Piotrkowska Street, which housed the Secretariat of the City Committee for the Protection of the Graves of Fighters for Freedom and the Former Radogoszcz Prison.

17. Łódź, 5 Komuny Paryskiej Square – The seat of the Social Fund for the Rebuilding of the Capital (S.F.O.S.), the Committee of the City of Łódź, located at 5 Komuny Paryskiej Square. The Committee was responsible for the construction of the Radogoszcz mausoleum.

18. Former Radogoszcz Prisoners Disabled Co-Operative (the name adopted in 1950).